I have created one pop art zombie makeup before and I liked how it looked but I didn’t like how plain and basic the design was. There could have been a lot more detail and the green base also should have been much more vibrant. I used a Snazaroo face paint palette for that last one and now that I have a Mehron palette with brighter colors and slightly more face painting experience, I figured I should try another pop art zombie.
Products I used:
- White eyeliner pencil
- Mehron paradise basic palette
- Palladio black liquid eyeliner
Mapping out the Design
Using a white eyeliner pencil, I sketched out the basic design I wanted. I didn’t use a reference photo for this makeup because I didn’t see anything I wanted to try to copy, some photos were way above my skin level, and I also just love to make things up as I go. I sketched out an area for some exposed brain, some tears in my flesh, and an exposed rib cage.
Painting the Base
I mixed some of the Mehron green and yellow face paints and started smearing brushfuls all over my chest and face. I pretty much mixed the colors on my skin rather than in the palette but my Mehron palette is definitely getting a little messy looking at this point. I left the areas blank that I knew I’d be painting with different colors.
Filling in the Other Colors
I filled the brain section in by mixing my Mehron white and red paints until I got a sufficiently brain-toned pink. I filled all the torn away flesh parts with yellow and painted the teeth and bone areas with white. I knew I would go back in with more detail but I just wanted to get the basic colors in there to give me an overall idea of what I was going for.
Adding Some Detail
I traced out some of the brain swirls with red paint, highlighted some areas with white, then around the crevices with red. I kept adding different layers or red and white until I got a pattern I liked and there was enough shadow and highlight to somewhat resemble brain tissue. I also outline my eyebrows with some of my pink mixed paint and then filled them in.
Outlining with Black
I don’t really have a brush yet that is great for thin black line work, or maybe the Mehron and Snazaroo face paints are the culprit, so I used my Palladio black liquid eyeliner to outline every line, tooth, lip, and detail on my face and chest. Because I just guessed at the shape I wanted for my open chest piece, the end result had a kind of wacky shape.
More Black Detail
I outlined my eyes with the black eyeliner and added some mascara to my lashes. I added small accents here and there with both the liquid eyeliner and the black face paint. I added some black lines into my squishy brain area, added some tiny lines around my torn flesh for some extra pop-arty-ness, and added tiny little black lines inside my yellow patches to give them some texture. I pretty much just guessed my way through this step and flicked that black paint around everywhere I wanted.
Putting in one Contact Lens
I’ve been getting a lot better at putting lenses on my eyeballs but this was not one of those good days. I dug around inside of my orbital socket forever, crying makeup all over the place, until I had one lens it. I didn’t really love the original design I had under that eye anyways so I took the opportunity of having to completely repaint that section to change it up a little.
Adding a Second Contact Lens
I wasn’t loving the one white eyed look so I popped the other contact lens in. Luckily, I was able to get that one in much more easily. I wasn’t satisfied with the overall makeup so I tried adding some black accent lines to my forehead as well. I should mention that I can’t see very well with the white contacts and didn’t realize until later that some of my paint had gotten all wet and runny and weird looking.
Final Results and What I Learned
I’m not too impressed with my paint job or the overall look and I think lack of planning is to blame for two reasons. The first reason is because I did a quick design, not really thinking enough about it, and I ended up not liking where the flesh tears were and how it all looked together at the end.
The second reason was that my quick design ended up making me want to change things, washing off paint, and repainting. Some areas of my paint weren’t totally blended after that and looked water damaged. If I didn’t try to go over so many areas and fix so many things my paint job may have been a little better.