I’m always excited for each new season of American Horror Story but I get a little extra fangirly whenever I know Lady Gaga will be creeping around throughout those episodes. Doing a Scáthach (aka the Witch) makeup was an obvious choice for the Roanoke season of AHS.
Products I Used for the Antler Headpiece:
- White polymer clay
- White, black, yellow, brown acrylic paints
- Jute rope
Products I Used for the Makeup:
- NYX contour palette
- BYS Berries eyeshadow palette
- Mehron black and brown face paint
Molding the Antler Headpiece
I had a few ideas about what I could use to make this (tinfoil, paper mache, foam pieces) but I went with polymer clay because I’m a little more comfortable using that than anything else. I picked up a block of plain white Sculpey clay and molded the basic shape of the headpiece the Witch has strapped to her head. I smoothed out the shape to get it to look as much like the headpiece she wears as possible. I used a small sculpting tool to make little grooves in the antlers and pock marks on the flat bone area to give this thing some texture. I also carved out a few nicks in the edges and some scratches along the surface.
Painting the Antler Headpiece
I baked this weird antler thing at 275 F for about 45 mins, propping the antlers and bottom lip up with tinfoil while it baked to give it a more 3 dimensional shape. I call this an antler thing because what even is this? Like, a jackalope? It seriously looks like a bunny skull with antlers. Once the jackalope skull was cool, I painted the whole thing with a coat of very pale yellow acrylic paints by mixing white with a tiny bit of yellow. Once the first coat was dry, I slathered some brown paint all over the bone and antlers and rubbed most of it off with a damp paper towel. I left the paint mostly just in the grooves with small streaks here and there to make it look weathered. I added some black to the areas I wanted to be the darkest, like the base of the antlers, and again wiped off the excess paint with my paper towel. I pretty much just went back and forth, adding paint and wiping it off until that chunk of bone and antler looked like it had been lying out in the elements for a few seasons.
Dirtying up my Hair
The Witch is pretty filthy, and she also has that big mess of auburn hair which probably has a few critters living inside there. I had to do *something* to my straw-like blond locks so I painted streaks of it with brown and black Mehron face paint. I’ve painted my hair with face paint before and it has always washed out but this time I was left with a few brown highlights that I’m hoping will eventually fade away. I also gave my hair a slight backcombing to add some tangled volume.
Applying Foundation from Handfuls of Dirt
Scáthach is a forest gal and she definitely doesn’t worry about taking long hot showers, or even quick dips in stagnant puddles. I used my NYX contour palette and heavily shadowed around my collar bone and hairline with the darkest brown. I used the lighter browns to add some shadow into my eye sockets, hollows of my cheeks, under my lower lip, and parts of my chest.
Darkening the Eyes
I used the Shaded and Cherry Bomb colors from my BYS Berries eyeshadow palette, heavy on the Shaded, lighter on the Cherry Bomb. I basically just loaded a ton of brown eyeshadow into my eye sockets and added a little bit of reddish pink around the edges. I lined my lower waterline with black eyeliner and added some mascara to my eyelashes.
I messed up my hair a bit more, painted my lips with some brown face paint, and I thought I was done. I strapped the antler headpiece to my forehead with some jute rope and went to snap a couple pics but I noticed that my face was way too clean for someone foraging around in a forest for hundreds of years. I added a little more brown paint to my lips and I rubbed a few fingerfuls of NYX contour palette to random spots on my cheeks and chest.
The Final Results and What I Learned
I’m pretty happy with how my antler headpiece turned out but I think it was just a little too big. I’d have made it smaller and less curved at the bottom if only I could go back and unbake polymer clay. I had even filed some of the length off from the bottom section but the whole piece was just too big overall.
I also would have layered the dirt on my face in a more well thought out way. Instead of just rubbing some brown contour power on top of everything I should have layered different woodsy colors like greens and yellows underneath the brown tones to get a more genuine appearance of unwashed Forest Witch skin. It was a pretty basic makeup though so I think it turned out okay for the most part.